29 September 2005

Dearly Beloved,

I'm not doing a thesis for my master's program. But if I were, I think I would do it on the new culture of communication technology, i.e. Instant Messenger and text messaging. Think about it: How many times do you say something online or via your cell phone that you could never say in person? I once broke up with a guy through text messaging. Shitty, I know. And what about these people who put very personal information in their away messages, or even their blogs or MySpace profiles, for the entire world to see? Is that some kind of reverse voyeuristic thing? Our own personal online version of a reality show?? Let's call it, "Who's The Biggest Train Wreck." Sometimes it feels like the whole point of our culture right now is to turn everything inside out and expose the "truth," like wearing your skeleton on the outside of your skin. But half the time, it's not even real truth. I would go so far as to argue that there is no "real" truth, only your own construction of reality. Which leads me to my point (and yes, there is one). Sanity lies in the ability to completely distance yourself from reality. So go ahead, start running. I'm right behind you.

3 comments:

poole said...

well done, indeed, well done. running is especially fun when you have snazzy shoes to do it in, and a great destination.

Anonymous said...

very well put mel jay and yes i totally agree....but im not sure if im going to start running just yet...

Rachael said...

that's exactly what it is, thanks for contributing

Site Meter