07 October 2007

Nelchina, Alaska, Day 68, Aug 8th

Today brought to reality a whole new reason I should be sacred to have ridden alone those 180 miles. After taking a long break in Glenallen for lunch we were riding up the road until we came up on most of the team pulled over on the side of the road. One of our riders was sitting on the ground in shock after some mother fucker had stopped her and tried to pull her off into the woods, all the while hitting her in the face. We were all thoroughly shaken up and stuck around until we were told by the police that the troopers had caught the bastard. I thought I was going to have to hold Amy from going back to torture the piece of shit.

We're all procrastinating in the morning now; I think we're all trying to prolong being together, despite being sick of a few people. We got chased by a dog on the road just as we left this morning. He was dragging a big ass chain from his collar, and I think he just wanted to play, but none of us wanted to get pulled off our bikes onto the pavement so we scooted on by him.

Amy and I kept up the pace from there with a little help from a tailwind. I really enjoy riding with her. I realize what I missed out on for most of the summer by not riding people, but it wasn't like I could ride with Amy all summer since she was on the Rockies route. I am having so much fun with her, Marlowe and Walker. It takes me back to Day 2 when we parted ways with them, and I immediately felt a gap and that I had chosen the wrong route. I know now that's not the case, but nevertheless it would have been great to spend teh summer with them. I am relieved by the fact that I will still hang out with Amy in Austin, and that Walker and Marlowe are going back to NY so I won't see them anyway.

I rode in some freezing rain toward the end of the day and am glad I didn't have to do so when I was more sick since it hurts so bad to cough today and I can't seem to stop coughing.

At the little RV park store where we're staying there's a man sitting in the corner of the porch when I roll up, but I can't tell if he's a real man or one carved out of wood until he saws hello to me. Apparently he lives back in the woods somewhere.

We have a big dinner then some ice cream sandwiches. While we're stalking seconds of pasta in the mosquito tent, Miguel and "Boris" (Vitek) are drinking 40s of "Steel Reserve" beer. Quickly after eating we build a fire in a barrel and hobo up to keep warm. So fitting with the 40s. The owner let his dogs out so Winchester--an extremely friendly Golden--and Priscilla--a confused Saint Bernard--provided the night's entertainment. It was pretty funny watching a drunken Boris yell at Priscilla and try to convince her to sit down at his feet.

The next morning is the last time we'll fix breakfast. Since Jon and I are driving, we make as many pancakes as possible, but decide in the end that the BIGGEST pancakes possible is a better approach.

No comments:

Site Meter