29 August 2009

What's In A Name

So a couple of days ago, I was walking to my truck--most likely to go to the coffee shop. A car drove by and as I glanced up, I thought the girl driving resembled a girl I used to play softball with on my travel team. Chrissy and her twin Reeca played on my team when I was a sophomore and junior in high school. They were not from the same town I grew up in, but my dad was friends with their parents and good friends with their uncle before any of us were born. In fact, my brother Evan Douglas is named after their uncle Joe Douglas Wilson.

Often times something very specific will catch my attention and remind me of something else. Usually, it is something that only I notice and is usually a product of my weirdo imagination. So I didn't think much of it.

Until today when I checked the mail. There were two wedding invitations addressed in fancy script to a house with one digit different from mine and Wilson's. I can easily see how the postman would make the mistake. So I figured instead of having them go through the return process, I'd just walk them over. One of the invitations was addressed to some name I had trouble pronouncing and the other was addressed to Mr. Kevin Cook and Ms. Chrissy Wilson. I hopped onto Chrissy's FB page and sure enough, she's engaged to Kevin Cook. So I walked the invites down the street to the house I drove by earlier today that was hosting the garage sale that I ALMOST stopped at.

So I rang the doorbell and her roomie answered. I asked if Chrissy was there. She was sitting on the kitchen counter and could see me from across the room. She made a funny face and her roommate goes, "Sorry, she doesn't know you."

"Oh. Yes she does."

No comments:

Site Meter