20 September 2005

Emancipating Mimi


Something has really been bothering me...in Mariah Carey's song "Shake It Off" she says in the chorus, "Just like the ___ commercial, I really gotta get up out of here and go somewhere..." That one word was driving me crazy! Cowgone? Cowgirl? Cowbell? Finally I couldn't take it any longer and Googled it. For those of you who were wondering as well, here's what I found:

"Calgon is a brand registered trademark of two different corporations.
Calgon water softener is owned by Reckitt Benckiser. Calgon beauty products are owned by Coty, Inc.
In North American Pop Culture, Calgon's advertisements have generated several popular catch phrases and/or definitions.
In one advertisement a woman is seen in a chaotic home scenario. As her tension rises she utters her famous line "Calgon, take me away!", and is then seen relaxing in a luxurious bath in a quiet room. Despite being viewed as somewhat sexist (ie. that women need to rescued from chaotic situations), the commercial is viewed as having been a success since people still remember it even though it has not been aired in many years. Even today, a difficult day or situation is often referred to as a Calgon moment.
In "Shake It Off", the third single from Mariah Carey's 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi, Carey sings "Just like the Calgon commercial, I really gotta get up out of here..."

Make sense now? Go ahead, turn it up and rejoice in your newfound knowledge.

5 comments:

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachael said...

That is way more info that I cared to know about my favorite re-make artist. And i have also decided that Mimi has the worst fucking similes ever.

ALISHA said...

Dude, where have you been? Every woman knows that Mariah was talking about a "Calgon take me away moment." You understand song lyrics about as well as you understand the rules for beer pong...Not clearly. I love you anyways.

Rachael said...

if it makes you feel any better, i thought she was saying "just like a cab on commission..."

just kidding

Site Meter