19 December 2005

New Year's Resolutions

Ok, I know this is fairly predictable, but I still think it would be fun/interesting if we shared a few New Year's Resolutions...not the cliche, never-gonna-happen kind, but fun, interesting ones that we really mean. So Cullen, Alisha, Rach, I expect posts on this, and everyone else you can just comment us with yours. So, without further ado, my Resolutions for 2006.

1. Listen to at least 1 Jimi Hendrix song per day. Because a) I feel as if I have done myself a disservice by overlooking his music the past 22 years, and b) I was put off by the distortion, and I have now come to see his guitar distortion as a metaphor for life, and the inherent messiness/beauty therein. Also, I feel cool when I listen to it in my car.

2. Make my actions speak as loud as (if not louder) than my words. Because I am tired of saying things and then never doing anything to make them happen. And, before you roll your eyes or remark that this is, in fact, cliche and therefore precisely the thing I warned you all about at the beginning of this entry, I would like to defend my self by saying that I truly think I can accomplish this. Also, if you can find a better, less-overused way to say the same thing, then by all means let me know. Until then, let's just go with it.

3. Be able to look in the mirror (the kind of "look" where you put your hands on the counter, lean in, and try and see something beyond the pupils of your eyes and the blemishes on your skin) and really feel good about what (or who) is looking back. Now, I don't mean this in some kind of angsty, '90s-era, "I hate myself" kind of way. In fact, as most of you know I am quite fond of myself. What I mean here is that often I feel like I have to sacrifice one thing to better at another. For instance, to be a better friend I might sacrifice being a better girlfriend, or by being a better girlfriend I might sacrifice being a better daughter. In the year 2006 I have decided it is entirely possible to be all three things. A better girlfriend, a better friend, and a better daughter. And, if you ask Cobie Bean, a better mother as well. In other words, the next round of Snausages is on me.

4. Be right more often. I've been on a losing streak lately, and frankly, it's embarrassing. The other day I chose "Just Friends" over "Syriana" at the movie theater. This is just one recent example of my poor decision-making. Or, maybe as I get older I'm just losing my good taste. Shit, let's hope not. That really wouldn't help my "I know better than you, because my taste is exquisite" atittude you all love so much.

So that's it. I know 4 is a weird number, but I don't want to come up with anything I won't actually be able to do. Check back with me in May and I'll let you know how it's going. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go listen to "Voodoo Child."

5 comments:

Sethery said...

Jimmy is pretty cool.

I've been having conversations with my dad, and I've figured out that he doesn't like any artist that's alive.

Every single one he likes is dead, or dying.

I don't get it.

QueenieCarly said...

Those are pretty great resolutions. Mine is to stop and stand still long enough to be able to process what I'd like to change.

I started to read that book but had to take it back to the library just the other day. I will get back to it, but how strange to read your comments about it here.

Rachael said...

You know, I was so close to going with Voodoo Child as my at-bat song last year. Turns out Willis did it so I ended up getting to listen to it more than I would have if it was mine, so that was nice.

Mel Jay, I'm glad you finally got around to reading that book. What was even cooler than that book was getting to see him in Austin...stupid UGA. But I won't rub that in anymore...

poole said...

new years resolutions do suck, they never stick, but if it takes the new year to motivate you, i guess... nana manda, lacey, and i decided a few weeks ago that our new motto is "just fucking do it". so guys, i am going to just fuckin do it. i talk to a recruiter tomorrow to schedule a more intense meeting, i talked with my family, and it seems like the air force is a very likely option for me.. the only way i think i wouldn't do it is if the job that i want isnt available because the airforce is down sizing by 60%.. wups a delllsy.

Anonymous said...

That was a good read. You speak a lot of truth. Oh, and its Voodoo Chile, not "Child". Jimmy rarely pronounces d's at the end of a word. (There's probably another metaphor in there somewhere.)

Happy New Year and good luck with the resolutions.

-Kev.

Site Meter